by Lori Lite
Moms of Special Needs Children are stressed out. According to a study conducted by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Moms of adolescents with Autism experience and have stress levels similar to “Combat Soldiers!” This revealing statement is applicable for all moms, dads, siblings, and families of Special Needs Children. Families face physical, emotional, and financial demands while surviving on less sleep and less time for themselves than the average parent.
A night of uninterrupted sleep is a vague memory for many parents. Holiday time is a great time of year to reach out with a smile and a caring hand. Thank you to Snappin Ministries Special Needs Parents Network and my Facebook friends for providing me with the following insights.
What Do Moms Really Want and Need?
Time for Themselves:
- Getting their hair or nails done at a peaceful time of day.
- A night out with their spouse.
- A nice relaxing hot bubble bath without interruptions.
- A reliable and capable babysitter to allow for any of the above to take place in a state of relaxation.
- Joyful outings with friends where the focus is on laughing!
- Help with housework, cooking and cleaning. Meals when they are in crisis mode.
- An offer to entertain their other children when they have appointments with their special needs child.
- Help arrange them some alone time, offer to take their child/children out for a few hours.
- Snow removal/yard help.
- Companionship and an occasional check in of “How are YOU doing?”
Gift Baskets: Self-indulging ones that are made just for moms with no time on their hands, bath/shower items, even special treats baskets. Uplifting and relaxing music CDs. Indigo Dreams Rainforest Relaxation and Indigo Dreams: Adult Relaxation are big hits.
- Gas Station gift card to make sure they have a full tank in times of emergencies.
- Therapeutic massage or spa day.
- Dinner certificate/card to their favorite restaurant.
- Pharmacy gift cards, such as CVS.
- Supermarket gift cards to pick up items quickly.
Smiles: So simple and FREE! Smile when you see a parent and child in a store, restaurant, or playground. Instead of grimacing or staring at an outburst or melt down, give a sincere and understanding smile.
Relaxation: Often overlooked but paramount to every member of the family. The following CDs offer stress management for every age.
Indigo Dreams shorter stories with relaxation techniques for younger child.
Indigo Ocean Dreams longer stories with relaxation techniques for older children.
Indigo Teen Dreams guided instructions with relaxation techniques for teens.
Indigo Dreams: Adult Relaxation guided instructions with relaxation techniques for adults.
Indigo Dreams: Garden of Wellness stories for all children includes bubble blowing technique to release anger and positive statements to encourage healthy eating.
Indigo Dreams: 3 CD Set: All 3 children’s CDs: 3 Hours of stories, techniques & stories
Stress Free Kids founder Lori Lite is a freelance blogger, social media strategist, parenting expert, and successful entrepreneur. Her line of books and CDs are designed to help children, teens, and adults decrease stress, anxiety, and anger. Ms. Lite’s books, CDs, and lesson plans are considered a resource for parents, psychologists, therapists, child life specialists, teachers, doctors, and yoga instructors. Lori’s award winning books received national attention on Shark Tank and her sort after accessible tips have been featured in hundreds of publications to include: CNN Living, Real Simple Magazine, USA Today, Family Circle, Working Mother Magazine, and Web MD. For more information visit Stress Free Kids and for daily advice follow Lori on Twitter and Facebook.
Stress Free Kids Fund Raising Program brings stress management and relaxation to families while generating funds that will benefit YOUR school, group, or organization.